Thursday, July 12, 2007

Speechless

Words fail me when I need them most. I am sick and angry over the Tory Bowen story. Thank you, Stephanie, for bringing it to my/our attention. Sexual violence is frighteningly common. It is extremely difficult for a survivor to speak out without having her words chosen for her.

If this upsets you too, please raise your voice. Attitudes and misconceptions regarding sexual violence aren’t going to change by themselves.

PS I tried to find an appropriate, unbiased news link. I was unsuccessful. That, in and of itself, is frustrating. Perhaps, (hopefully) my internet search skills are to blame. For example, I found nothing on cnn.com using various permutations of Ms. Bowen’s name, Nebraska, rape, sexual assault, assault, etc. (Just so we are clear, there were links through the web search function, but no hits on CNN itself.)

No comments: